#Nigeria Decides2019: INEC releases statement and reasons for election postponement
A few hours ago, it was announced by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) that the presidential and National Assembly elections, scheduled for Saturday have been postponed.
The INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, announced that the Presidential and National Assembly election slated for today 16th February will hold on 23d February 2019.
Furthermore, the Governorship, State House of Assembly and Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Area Council Elections is rescheduled to Saturday 9th March 2019. This will afford the Commission the opportunity to address identified challenges in order to maintain the quality of our elections.
However there are series of facts we need to know leading to this postponement, some of which will be stated below.
1. Fire incident at 3 INEC STATE Offices (Plateau, Abia and Anambra)
2. Stealing of ballot papers,
3. Arresting opposition figures.
4. Ballot papers for Niger East & Central where-about cannot be traced.
5. Over 10,000 Card Readers between Abia , Plateau and Anambra .
6. Planes carrying sensitive materials cannot land in designated airports due to weather conditions;
7. CBN overwhelmed by logistics.
Read INEC’s statement below.
Has Something to Say about #Nigeria Decides2019: INEC releases statement and reasons for election postponement? Drop your comments below